Fedora 7 is to be released in these hours. I already got a copy of the last RC and have been bug hunting since then. And I gathered quite some over the last days, unfortunately, but most are simply due to new, not yet tested application features.
The Fedora 7 release was supposed to come along with a new feature I personally really could use: extended authentication support in NetworkManager.
So after the features were added and Fedora packaged a beta version I got my copy and tried to get the network working.
However, it didn’t work: the
wpa_supplicant has serious problems and even crashes. As long as that problem is not sorted out I’m afraid I can’t use my universities network.
But since I was already at my universities computer lab I tried to get at least the VPN working – and failed as well: the client configuration file for Cisco routers doesn’t work for NetworkManager – and has some minor file association problems, btw.
Unfortunately Fedora 7 has some other issues as well on my computer – suspend/resume is not working anymore for me, I get a kernel panic. And KDE is no longer able to remember which applications have been started in the last session.
Anyway, since I was already working at it I also filled three other bug reports not exactly related to the release of Fedora 7, but also valid bug reports/wishes: one was against Fedora in general to add the necessary config options to xorg.conf in case of loading synaptics drivers, one was to update a certain package to the newest version and the last one was about adding the (atm not working) extended authentication support to knetworkmanager.
Hm, all over all I must admit that I’m a bit disappointed that enterprise network things on Linux are still not in a really usable shape, and I really do hope that things improve massively with the release of NetworkManager 0.7…
Ok, at least the KDE bug is resolved – deadbabylon hinted me to check my session manager configuration. And well, I could have sworn that it was set correctly – but it wasn’t. :(
Today I received a new version of wpa_supplicant which fixed the above mentioned bug. Now I’m finally able to use the wpa_supplicant and also the NetworkManager on the WLAN of the university (WPA/TKIP/TTLS). If the other bugs will be solved over time I will not mention them in further updates but will write new articles. So in case you wonder about the state of the other bugs (like the suspend/resume) simply search this blog for newer information.